Thursday 25 August 2011

Small Toolbox

My second project, a small toolbox / bench tool organiser.


This little project started as an excuse for me to try my hand at mortise & tenon joints and finger (box) joints. Again it's made from scraps of Pine I had laying around.

While it's pretty small, it serves to keep all my most frequently used things such as squares, tape measure, marking knife & gauges, bradawl and chisels close to hand. Its also big enough to hold my bench backsaws.

All in all I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out in terms of the joints. My one niggle is the glue line along the bottom. I am using Titebond polyurethane expanding foam glue which is a nightmare to use and impossible to get off your hands (even with nail varnish remover). I guess I should have put a proper (glue-less) base on the box using grooves instead of getting lazy and simply glueing and screwing on a bottom panel.

Oh well... It served as a good learning experience and the box will be handy.

No comments: