Saturday 10 September 2011

A Sight 4 Saw Eyes

It's a happy day! After waiting for over 3 weeks, I finally have my saws back from being sharpened.
As mentioned previously I have been given some saws (1,3 and 4) which I promptly de-rusted, cleaned and oiled and sent off for sharpening as follows:

1. Warranted Superior 26" - 5ppi RIP
2. Sandvik 22" - 10ppi RIP
3. NoName 21.5" - 8ppi Crosscut
4. Warranted Superior 20" - 10ppi Crosscut

All saws have been jointed flat and resharpened and set, each costing £10.50. I will get myself some files and a saw  set to learn to do it myself eventually but for now, for just over £40 I should be able to cover most of my larger sawing requirements - bargain! 

Unfortunately, the guy who normally does the sharpening has been on holiday, hence the delay, the service normally only takes a week. If anyone in the Surrey area is interested, the company who carried out the sharpening is Winsor Saw Ltd of Windsor 01753 862029, but you can also drop off and collect saws from  Village Mowers in Hersham, Surrey 01932 248538.

Aside from my Lie Nielson backsaws (a crosscut carcass saw and a dovetail saw), which I use all the time. I still need (would like) a larger tenon saw. Common sense suggests something like a 400mm 10ppi rip saw as the largest cuts are with the grain when cutting a tenon, but would it still be suitable for making precision crosscuts when my carcass saw is a bit small ... or should I just try and do precision cuts with the panel saws above ... decisions decisions.


2 comments:

Joshua S.Shah said...

I have an old DEWALT Saw and I'm Looking for a new one Reciprocating Saw for my Woodworking services.
I think DEWALT is best for my job.
Would you suggest me which is the Best Reciprocating Saw on the market?

Smith said...

Great Post!
See also Best reciprocating sawReviews and Buying Guide-2019
These fancy constructions have made their own place and demands. One of the most important prerequisites of fancy construction is fine to cut which is impossible without a perfect reciprocating saw. Now, you may think what is a reciprocating saw? Well, a reciprocating saw is a machine powered tool that lets your achieve cutting action. All the mechanism behind this cutting lies on the push and pull system.